By Wendy Williams
SURGEONS are battling to save the left eye of brave bullfighter Juan Jose Padilla after it was nearly poked out in a bullfight.
Surgeons are hopeful of saving his sight, after the Jerez torero was horrifically gored through the head.
While initially paralysed down one side of his face, the bullfighter is now undergoing extensive testing in the Fernandez Vega clinic, in Asturias.
“We have great faith in him and we are not losing hope,” said his brother Oscar Padilla, who has approached leading experts in ophthalmology and face transplants Dr. Luis Fernández-Vega and Pedro Cavadas to assist him.
“The recovery is going well albeit very slowly,” he added.
Padilla, one of Spain’s most popular matadors, slipped after placing the so-called ‘banderillas’ in the bull Marques.
The 500-kilo animal from the Ana Romero ranch in Cadiz jumped on him and pierced him through the jaw during Zaragoza’s Fiestas Del Pilar.
Television images showed the sickening moment when the bull’s left horn penetrated Padilla’s lower jaw to emerge beside his protruding eyeball.
The 38-year-old was helped out of the ring after the gory incident with blood gushing from his head screaming “I can’t see, I can’t see.”
He then underwent a life-saving five-hour operation to repair severe damage to his eye, bone, muscle and skin.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46