By Wendy Williams
HE had a lifelong infatuation with Andalucia and immortalised it in his iconic song Spanish Bombs.
Now the city of Granada is set to return the favour to punk rock legend Joe Strummer.
A Facebook campaign to name a street after the late Clash frontman is gathering pace after the local PSOE socialist party got behind it.
The party – along with the IU party – has put in a request to the Town Hall’s Honours and Awards Committee calling for the Briton to have the honour.
The initiative – which has already gained the support of nearly 2,000 people – aims to recognize the star “who carried the name of Granada throughout the world”.
Strummer, who had a home in Cabo de Gata in Almeria, was a regular visitor to the region and spent a lot of time in the city.
“He had a lot of friends in Granada and spent a lot of time here,” said journalist Juan Enrique Gomez.
Strummer, whose real name was John Graham Mellor, produced a number of local groups in Granada, including ‘091’.
He had first come to the city while dating Spaniard Paloma Romero, drummer in fellow punk band The Raincoats. He later spent his 40th birthday there.
According to Councillor Jose Maria Rueda, who is spearheading the proposal, it gives the city ‘the perfect opportunity to display an image of openness, and promote rebellion, youthful spirit and music.’
It also coincides with the 75th anniversary of the death of Federico Garcia Lorca, who is referred to in song Spanish Bombs, on their renowned album London Calling.
Strummer died of a heart attack in 2002 at the age of 50.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46