Michael Greenhalgh, a professional racing driver, was struck down in the blaze after an electric heater caught fire.
The Briton, who helped his dad Clive run the racing circuit at Guadix, had been flat-sitting an eighth floor apartment in the Zaidin area.
The multilingual 30-year-old, who normally lived in Lecrin Valley, was found just three metres from the front door after trying to escape.
His father told the Olive Press: “Michael was extremely valiant on the race track.
“He won a lot of races and lived life on the edge. Damon Hill and many Formula One champions have even paid tribute.”
He continued: “He was Nigel Mansell’s lucky mascot as he said Michael looked like ‘a smiling buddha’. He’d buy him a hotdog and drink after a win.”
Originally from the Midlands, Michael had moved to Spain in 1997 with his family.
He is credited with making the Guadix track a success by getting manufacturers like Aston Martin and Porsche to use it.
He also raced professionally for a number of teams including the Ronda-based Ascari GT3 team, as well as coaching up-and-coming drivers.
He was even also able to find time to help his Taiwanese mum Dao and sister Natasha run Thai Elephant restaurant in Restabal.
“Mike was one of the nicest people I ever had the fortune to meet,” said family friend Adrian Day.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46