TRUE to her Spanish roots Miriam Gonzalez has revealed she dazzled a young Nick Clegg with traditional tortilla and dance moves.
The successful international lawyer – referred to as Britain’s Third Lady – confessed to Spanish magazine Telva that she fell for her husband, the Liberal Democrat leader, after he came to one of her flamenco-style dance classes while they were studying in Bruges more than 20 years ago.
The pair, who married in Miriam’s home town of Olmedo in September 2000, also went to see Spanish films in Brussels to help ease her homesickness.
“When we Spanish used to go abroad back then, the other students would always ask us to make Spanish omelette or teach Sevillanas classes,” explains the 44-year-old.
“That’s what I did, even though I’m from Valladolid and Nick signed up to my classes. When I saw him there, trying his hand, I took it as a declaration of love.
“To put the icing on the cake, the first films that Nick saw in Brussels in Spanish were Wait for Me in Heaven and Welcome Mr Marshall.”
The mother-of three also revealed the current role models in their family home were Barcelona FC star Lionel Messi and outgoing manager Pep Guardiola.
“We play football a lot. I know the full line-up of Arsenal and Barcelona,” she added.
The Cleggs are expected to spend a month in Spain, as usual, this summer.
- Avocados in Spain at risk of devastation from fungus transmitted by beetles - 20 Dec, 2012 @ 08:26
- Junta introduces bike scheme but fails to reduce 263-strong fleet of company cars - 19 Dec, 2012 @ 08:12
- Descendants of Sephardic Jews gain automatic citizenship in Spain - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 13:00
- Phoenix Campaign meeting under way this morning to help fire victims rebuild their homes - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:15
- Oil painting by Ecco Homo ‘restorer’ fetches €1,080 on eBay - 18 Dec, 2012 @ 11:10
- Females twice as likely as men to opt for herbal medicine - 17 Dec, 2012 @ 11:48
- Man charged after selling fake magnetic therapy machine for €1,200 - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 15:29
- Gambling conference attracts 200 former addicts - 16 Dec, 2012 @ 08:05
- IU boss ‘tremendous disappointed’ after ERE report rejected by Junta - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 12:41
- Anchovy fishing to continue in Spain following quota swap - 15 Dec, 2012 @ 08:10