THE Junta is demanding a €1 million refund from Velez Malaga Town Hall after it shelved a plan to build a conference centre.
It comes despite mayor Francisco Delgado Bonilla insisting he has no idea where the grant money has gone.
The PP mayor had scrapped the plan, calling it ‘economically unviable’, on getting into power in May last year.
Now the Junta is demanding the return of the money – plus interest of €70,000 – something Bonilla has described as ‘absolutely incredible’.
“They said they would not do this,” he said. “We don’t know where the money went or who it was given to.
“It was obviously used for something else, which just proves there was no control over money before we came to power.”
Bonilla has demanded an urgent explanation from the town hall’s previous socialist mayor as to where the money went.
However Mari Salome Arroyo insisted she has no idea where the money is and dismissed the current mayor’s comments as ‘hateful and spiteful’.
“This highlights Bonilla’s inability to move forward on a project that had already been financed.
“It would have put Velez Malaga on the conference tourism map,” she added.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46