EXCLUSIVE By James Bryce
A BRITISH expat has spoken of her despair at the never-ending noise created by planes flying at anti-social hours on the approach into Malaga airport.
And Sheila Saville, 65, from Benalmadena, insists the problem is likely to get a whole lot worse now that Malaga has opened its second runway.
Saville, who has lived in Spain with husband David for 15 years, insists that dozens of planes are increasingly coming in late at night and early in the morning.
She says the number has increased dramatically over the last few months and is affecting her sleep.
“It is terrible, I have never heard anything like it,” explained Saville, who is used to low-flying aircraft over her property, being on the
normal flight path.
“We counted 20 planes between 10pm and 11pm one evening recently.
“It is permanently noisy as the sound of an approaching plane begins before the previous one is out of earshot.
“It starts getting bad in the afternoon but goes on until about 1am and then starts again at 7.30am.
“It is totally out of my control. I’ve tried contacting the airport but I just get an automated message,” added Saville, originally from
Her main concern is that the new €400 million runway opened recently will make the situation even worse.
The airport has admitted it hopes to double capacity over the next year, with more direct flights already coming in from the US.
“It is good for Spain but they are not thinking about the residents.”
Despite several calls to the airport, the Olive Press was unable to get a response.
- Maximilian Bartie - 4 Sep, 2012 @ 14:20
- Making a splash around Andalucia - 3 Sep, 2012 @ 14:22
- Andalucia’s open-air cuisine - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 14:04
- Corruption probe over illegal licence for Benalmadena apartment complex - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:50
- Classes for parents aim to combat fatigue in children - 2 Sep, 2012 @ 10:48
- Andalucia dubbed a birdwatcher’s paradise - 1 Sep, 2012 @ 09:20
- Meeting the Spanish ‘Robin Hood’ - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 14:00
- Spain turns volume down - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 10:54
- A new look for Spaniard Penelope Cruz - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 09:00
- Worker dies in Benalmadena rubbish accident - 30 Aug, 2012 @ 13:16