EXCLUSIVE by Eloise Horsfield
A HUGE row has blown up at DJ Maurice Boland’s radio station iTALK after three key presenters left the station.
The presenters Richie Allen, Barry Mitchell and Mathew Court – all part of the original team when the station launched in November – have fallen out with Irish media mogul Boland.
One of them, Mitchell, has now launched an attack on Boland on a Facebook page claiming: “He owes Allen and myself – and most of his staff – a considerable amount in unpaid wages.”
Allen, former presenter of The 5 o’clock show, confirmed he is now launching legal action against his former boss.
Friends explained he has quit the station over ‘a money dispute’.
“He threatened to leave in May and has since received about €1,700 in expenses,” said the source.
Boland, however, insisted last night the departures had nothing to do with money and that Allen had been sacked ‘over a private matter’.
“It is internal business and it was the same reason he was sacked from TRE radio station,” he said.
He added that former breakfast presenter Court had left of his own accord and that Mitchell was unable to present a show due to technical reasons.
“Whatever money he is owed he has been paid,” he said.
Boland – who was sacked from his former job as station manager of TRE – was backed up by current staff.
One presenter Pippa Jones posted on Facebook: “Within hours of being sacked Allen came in and picked up his wages which had been left in an envelope. I saw it with my own eyes.”
- Fake Ferrari gang busted in Spain - 31 Jul, 2013 @ 19:33
- Sunday shopping for cruise passengers in Malaga - 30 Jul, 2013 @ 19:40
- Socialists demand Rajoy resignation over payment scandal - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 22:18
- Spanish border police accused of discrimination by Gibraltar MEP - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 21:25
- Donana under threat from gas extraction - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:30
- Duchess of York’s friend killed in Marbella blaze - 3 Feb, 2013 @ 09:00
- Massage therapy on rise in Spain - 2 Feb, 2013 @ 15:34
- Spanish art fair pays collectors to attend - 30 Jan, 2013 @ 12:38
- Fresh ideas - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 14:00
- Fighting the fat in Spain - 29 Jan, 2013 @ 11:02