By Wendy Williams
BRITISH expats have been left ‘shocked and outraged’ after a series of ‘sickening’ attacks on cats in Estepona.
Recent weeks have seen reports of several cats in the El Faro area being shot in the head and left to die.
In one particularly disturbing case, a group of young boys allegedly kicked a kitten until its intestines burst.
Now the volunteer-run animal rescue charity ADANA is calling on Estepona Town Hall to step in, stop the cruelty and save the reputation of the town.
“There have been a number of instances of gratuitous cruelty and sadistic violence towards cats and kittens which, if not stopped, could damage the reputation of the town in the eyes of foreign holiday-makers,” explained Mary Page,vice-president of ADANA.
“We have been told of two occasions of cats actually being shot in the head and left to die in agony, cats being beaten to death with metal bars and a group of young boys kicked a kitten until its intestines burst from its body.
“There are around seven incidents that we know of but we only see the worst cases.
“This sadistic treatment of animals, if witnessed by tourists from Northern Europe and the rest of Spain, will leave a stain on the memory of the Estepona holiday,” added Page.
“The person who reported the kitten being kicked was a British holidaymaker, it is not nice to come on holiday and see a kitten kicked.
“I appeal to the mayor, the police and residents to do all they can to stop this disgusting, cruel behaviour.”
The El Faro area is home to a large number of stray cats which are given food and water by local residents, and have even been neutered at the residents’ expense.
The latest string of incidents come amid fears the cats will soon be removed from the area as plans to redevelop the area by Estepona Ayuntamiento are put in place.
- Thousands evacuated as forest fire spreads along Costa del Sol - 31 Aug, 2012 @ 11:01
- Irishman shot in Torremolinos bar - 28 Aug, 2012 @ 10:27
- Experts confirm remains found on Cordoba estate belong to missing youngsters Ruth and Jose Breton - 27 Aug, 2012 @ 17:02
- Naked Chef Jamie Oliver in Marbella - 24 Aug, 2012 @ 18:24
- ‘Sickening’ kitten attacks in Estepona - 22 Aug, 2012 @ 12:55
- Little and large: Petite star Eva Longoria poses with fellow diner in Marbella - 21 Aug, 2012 @ 13:23
- Sheikh to sell Malaga FC - 19 Aug, 2012 @ 13:00
- Mercadona recalls cosmetic products linked to cancer - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 13:57
- David Cameron enjoys a summer holiday in Spain - 15 Aug, 2012 @ 10:28
- Gibraltar’s biggest ever dance festival set to attract some of the best DJs to the Rock - 27 Jul, 2012 @ 11:46