A TENSE battle to be the next owner of an El Greco painting has ended in a €982,200 sale.
The striking painting of Saint Peter, by Domenikos Theotokopoulos – better known as El Greco – sold at Bonhams auction on Friday with a €74,442 starting price.
Director of Old Master Paintings Andrew McKenzie said the ‘cautious’ price tag had been attached because of the ‘notorious difficulties’ in distinguishing authentic works from workshop variants – which basically means nobody is 100% sure it is a real El Greco.
“We are delighted with the outcome,” he said.
The Renaissance painter, sculpture and architect was known as a master of Spanish painting, whose individual dramatic style met with hostility from his contemporaries but has seen new-found appreciation in the 20th century.
- Junta de Andalucia accused of human rights abuses - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 15:07
- Mammoth wasp nest found in abandoned property - 25 Apr, 2013 @ 14:58
- Shamed Spanish councillor goes topless - 21 Apr, 2013 @ 11:49
- See you later alligator! - 19 Apr, 2013 @ 11:20
- Not on our doorsteps! - 14 Apr, 2013 @ 10:32
- ‘Help us access our homes’, plead pensioners - 13 Apr, 2013 @ 10:57
- Lanzarote child abduction: Man arrested - 12 Apr, 2013 @ 13:41
- Big cats are back - 11 Apr, 2013 @ 17:27
- March sees worst rainfall in 60 years in Andalucia - 31 Mar, 2013 @ 09:01
- Feared and celebrated bull in Spain has died - 30 Mar, 2013 @ 08:50