THE creative genius of Spanish artist Salvador Dali has gone on show at Madrid’s Reina Sofia museum.
In the first major retrospective of the artist’s work in Spain for over a decade an incredible 200 paintings, sculptures and film clips are on display.
Spanning the 1920s to the 1980s, it even includes 30 works never before seen in Spain.
From the bizarre and beautiful to the weird and wonderful, Dali is best known for his startling surrealist pieces which matched his outlandish personality.
Called All of the poetic suggestions and all of the plastic possibilities, the show investigates how Dali’s experiments with painting, cinema and advertising have influenced art.
Having already been viewed by a staggering 790,090 people in four months at the Pompidou Centre in Paris, the exhibition will now run until September 2 in Madrid.
The top attraction of is no doubt the artist’s best-known painting, the 1931 The Persistence of Memory (above) which depicts melting pocket watches.
According to Dali, the piece – currently on loan from New York’s Museum of Modern Art – was inspired by watching camembert cheese liquefying in the sun.
Although the show focuses on Dali’s paintings, there are also photographs, films and TV clips on display.
These include the 1929 silent short film Un Chien Andalou – written with Spanish director Luis Bunuel – featuring its infamous scene of a woman’s eye being slit with a razor.
- Speed cameras fitted at Costa del Sol blackspot - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:58
- Restaurant review: Iglu - 4 Jul, 2013 @ 16:51
- Barcenas appeals jail sentence and denies ‘flight risk’ claim - 3 Jul, 2013 @ 16:09
- Socialist minister embroiled in Andalucia unemployment scandal - 2 Jul, 2013 @ 18:04
- Former PP treasurer is jailed in Madrid - 1 Jul, 2013 @ 12:43
- Mass grave excavated in Ronda - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:56
- Outrage after top bullfighter posts pit-bull attack on Facebook - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:46
- Health cuts could cost lives warn Spanish doctors - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 17:06
- UK government to strip expats of Winter Fuel Allowance - 28 Jun, 2013 @ 12:46
- Picardo calls on Cameron over Gibraltar jet ski shooting - 27 Jun, 2013 @ 16:36