BRITAIN and Spain were plunged into a fresh round of diplomatic tension after four Spanish jets allegedly flew into Gibraltar airspace
The Matador jets were described as flying very close to the north end of the Rock. A British Airways flight was delayed by 12 minutes.
The Gibraltar Government reacted angrily to what they described as another incursion into British territory. This comes soon after the incident of the Guardia Civil shooting at a Gibraltarian jet ski and a Spanish patrol boat sailing into Gibraltarian waters the following day.
“The Government of Gibraltar has called on the UK to take up the matter of this military incursion into the airspace of Gibraltar at the highest diplomatic and military levels,” No.6 Convent Place said in a statement. British officials in the Convent have already taken up the matter.
Britain’s Ministry of Defense, however, said that they had no evidence that the Spanish planes had entered Gibraltar airspace. In a statement, Headquarters British Forces said the BA flight was “…held on the runway for approximately 12 minutes by Air Traffic Control in Seville to allow Spanish aircraft to pass by in Spanish air space.”
“There is no evidence to suggest that the aircraft flew into Gibraltar air space,” it added.
Spain is currently holding a military exercise in the Mediterranean, and the aircraft were returning to the aircraft carrier Juan Carlos I.
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00