MIKE SOUTER only wanted to improve the lives of the boys he is alleged to have assaulted, he has told the court.
The ex-Sur in English journalist is on trial for 19 counts of historic sexual abuse against seven boys, and nine counts of storing indecent images on his computer. He denies all charges.
Prosecutor Andrew Hill asked Souter if he had abused any of the boys, to which he replied no.
“I only sought to enhance their lives,” he said.
A childhood friend of one of Mr Souter’s alleged victims took to the stand yesterday and told the court about a telephone call he received when he was about 16.
During the call he was told his friend had been abused by Souter and was asked to make a statement to the police.
He said his friend called again several days later, this time claiming he had made the allegation up.
“I felt, as a 16-year-old kid, just betrayed,” he said.
“I was willing to make a statement for him and he said within a few days that he had made it up.”
Prosecutor Andrew Shaw said a police statement showed the man did speak to the police in 1993, telling them his friend had told him about the abuse allegations in person, not on the phone.
The man said he did not remember.
“You have no way of knowing if he was telling the truth when he said he was abused, and no way of knowing that he was telling the truth when he said he made it up.” said Mr Shaw.
“No I don’t” replied the man.
The trial continues.
Find out more about the background to the case here.
- Gib’s Got Talent! - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- Artists put best foot forward in Velez-Malaga - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- UK hospital boss in hot water over Ibiza break - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Float on Gibraltar - 23 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Gibraltar gets dancing - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 18:30
- EU imposes strict rules on carbon emissions - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 14:30
- Axarquia mayor resigns over unsporting behavior - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 10:30
- Trouble in the skies over Gibraltar - 22 Mar, 2014 @ 06:30
- Lenox Napier found guilty of defaming the Euesdens - 20 Mar, 2014 @ 10:28
- Spanish pizza chain La Mafia sparks outrage in Italy - 18 Mar, 2014 @ 18:40