A STAGGERING two out of three Spaniards believe political corruption affects their daily lives, more than anywhere else in Europe.
The survey by the European Commission also revealed 77% of Spanish people think the level of corruption has risen in the past three years, again the highest in Europe.
The continent-wide report highlights the deep lying concerns over corruption in Spain.
An overwhelming 95% of Spanish people believe corruption is institutionalised, beaten only by Greece on 99% and Italy on 97%.
The report concluded that legal mechanisms in place across Europe to tackle corruption ‘are not satisfactory’, and that in many places political will to eradicate corruption is ‘absent’.
The findings come as another former minister is mired in reports of corruption. Former Public Works Minister Francisco Álvarez Cascos reportedly received at least €41,000 in payments from a corrupt businessmen’s network between 2003 and 2004.
He was named in a new report investigating alleged Gürtel ringleader Francisco Correa, who is on bail awaiting trial.
Correa was allegedly the leader of a group of prominent businessman who received generous contracts from the PP government in exchange for payments.
Cascos’ initials allegedly appear on secret accounting ledgers relating to the receipt of funds that went to PP campaigns.
The Gürtel case is an on-going political corruption scandal which implicates many senior politicians in the PP, including the Prime Minister.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44