A FAMILY of six has died after a fire at a casa rural in Tordomar, near Burgos in northern Spain.
Three adults aged between 35 to 59 and three young boys aged from four to six were killed following the blaze. It is thought they died from smoke inhalation.
Another five relatives were injured and were treated in hospital for breathing problems and minor burns.
Local reports suggest the fire began after a sofa was set alight by a spark from a fireplace.
A spokesman for the Interior Ministry of the Castilla y Leon area said emergency services were called to the small hotel after the fire broke out as the family slept.
The victims, from Madrid and Gijón, are thought to have been staying in the region for a family celebration.
- Sierra Nevada’s biggest ski school EOE celebrates 30th birthday - 2 Jan, 2017 @ 21:11
- San Pedro New Year concert tickets on sale - 31 Dec, 2016 @ 18:30
- Queen’s New Year honours for two British residents in Spain - 30 Dec, 2016 @ 23:30
- Merry Christmas to all our valued readers and advertisers - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 09:07
- Police helicopter crew rescue dog and owner from Malaga floods - 4 Dec, 2016 @ 18:09
- Costa del Sol torrential rain alert raised to orange - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 14:45
- Police investigate death of Brit found bound and semi-naked at Malaga airport - 23 Oct, 2016 @ 10:58
- Spain’s PSOE leader resigns with Andalucia regional head Suzana Diaz favourite to succeed him - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 13:14
- Velez-Malaga gas explosion injures at least 77 people - 2 Oct, 2016 @ 12:16
- Chinese hotel group Wanda has got its eyes on the Costa del Sol - 23 Sep, 2016 @ 09:33