THE campaign to save the Almoraima estate from being turned into an ‘elite tourism resort’ continues to gather support.
Over 100 protesters blocked the entrance to the exclusive estate, near Sotogrande, to publicise its plight.
Protesters included veteran environmentalist Paco Casera, who has started a hunger strike, calling for a series of measures to be implemented.
Casera has taken this drastic move due to what he sees as the failure of the most recent measures of the Common Agricultural Policy to implement organic initiatives.
He believes that organic methods are the key to increased production and that these methods also reduce pressure on physical resources such as soil, water and biodiversity in region.
Meanwhile the Junta’s Minister for Tourism, Rafael Rodriguez, has sent a letter to the government asking for a meeting to discuss the future of the estate.
In the letter Rodriguez stated that the ‘possible sale of the property has caused major concern in the Campo de Gibraltar area’.
He said he wanted to see the government working together with the Junta to help make it profitable.
“The tourism opportunities are extraordinary and require only careful planning to make conserving the ecology the largest ??of its selling points.”
There has been no news from the actress Salma Hayek and her billionaire husband Francis Henri-Pinault who took a flying inspection trip of the estate by private helicopter last month.
- OPEN SEASON: Giles Brown puts up many a guest at his place, but draws the line at garden yurts - 22 Jun, 2019 @ 10:30
- TROLL TROUBLE: Giles Brown is used to insults flying his way, but troll his family and that’s a different matter - 8 Jun, 2019 @ 11:36
- I have never felt more proud of my Burlesque-dancing goddaughter, writes Giles Brown - 25 May, 2019 @ 09:30
- Summer on the Costa del Sol may have to be spent indoors to avoid beach hut blazes and killer bacteria, writes Giles Brown - 12 May, 2019 @ 10:00
- OSP is not just a political party, writes Giles Brown, who has slowly watched the decline of San Pedro - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 12:00
- Giles Brown thought he had left his brushes with the law back in the 1980s - 10 Mar, 2019 @ 10:31
- An idyllic cottage by the lake in Andalucia gave Giles Brown a bit more than he bargained for - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 09:30
- Loud and Clear: The Costa del Sol Boar Wars have begun says Giles Brown - 17 Feb, 2019 @ 12:00
- PROTEST WITH NO BULL: Why new year is the perfect time to campaign for change on the Costa del Sol - 19 Jan, 2019 @ 13:00
- Giles Brown is stuck in ‘festive no man’s land’ - 5 Jan, 2019 @ 09:00