POLICE have seized 15 Andalucian fraudsters in Operation Edu – hailed as Spain’s ‘biggest ever fraud case’.
The scandal – which involved hundreds of professional training courses – saw Andalucian officials allegedly syphon off up to €2 billion worth of EU education funding.
Father-son team Pablo Andres Viedma Hurtado – president of the Axarquia Association of Training and Employment – and Eduardo Videma Hurtado, were two of those arrested.
Between them, the pair syphoned off €60,390 in 2010 – some of which was diverted into the Andalucian Centre of Training and Labour Orientation SL, a company founded by son Eduardo.
In other instances, fictitious students were signed up for courses.
Police have demanded that Luciano Alonso – the Councillor of Education, Culture and Sports – reveal information about the funds given to education companies, but Alonso allegedly refused.
“We’re not going to do any assessments,” he said.
The investigation, which will take place in Malaga, will be kept under wraps.
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05