A FORMER Andalucian tax office chief has been arrested as part of Spain’s ‘biggest ever fraud case’.
Angel Ojeda has been charged with forgery, fraud and improper appropriation as part of Operation Oscar, one of many investigations into the scandal.
The corruption outrage – which involved hundreds of professional training courses – saw Andalucian officials allegedly siphon off more than €2 billion of EU education funding.
Police claim that Ojeda’s business network had illegally obtained €49.8 million – intended as funding for training courses – and expect this figure to grow as the investigation continues.
The police report claims Ojeda was leading a ‘very complex business network consisting of more than 50 companies, foundations and associations’ that had received ‘tens of millions of euros’ from the Andalucian government.
Eight other people – all linked to Ojeda and his network – were arrested, including his son, Marcos Ojeda.
The arrest comes just a month after the arrest of 15 more Andalucian officials as part of connected investigation Operation Edu.
Those arrested included father-son team Pablo Andres Viedma Hurtado – president of the Axarquia Association of Training and Employment – and Eduardo Viedma Hurtado.
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38
- 10 Incredible Ways Technology Will Change Education By 2028 - 11 Apr, 2019 @ 14:30
- Airlines in Europe could soon be forced to fork out €1,400 for every piece of lost luggage - 7 Apr, 2019 @ 10:31
- Spain has one of smallest number of food-related deaths in world - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 11:00
- British tourists’ spending up in first quarter of 2019 with Andalucia the main destination for UK holidaymakers - 6 Apr, 2019 @ 09:25