IT’S the classic fairy tale: Scunthorpe girl meets guy in a Swiss tuberculosis clinic, guy turns out to be a Polish prince, the two cough ‘I love you’s to each other and live happily ever after.
Then death tore them apart. That is until they were reunited post-mortem in glamorous Marbella.
The Scunthorpe woman, Betty York, met Polish prince Wladvslaw Czartorski while both were receiving TB treatment in 1948. She became Princess Betty upon their marriage in 1949.
But the two lived a low-profile life on a beach house in Cleethorpes, England, until 1979, when the prince passed away and was buried in Marbella.
When the ‘Scunthorpe princess’ died in 1983, nobody knew what had happened to her remains.
But now the Scunthorpe Telegraph has tracked her corpse down to the Costa del Sol, where she rests alongside her royal lover in eternal unity.
Ann Smith, 74, Betty’s cousin, said: “The Czartoryskis are a very famous family in Poland and there is even a museum dedicated to them.”
- Everything you need to know about Spain’s general election on Sunday April 28 - 26 Apr, 2019 @ 13:47
- IN PICS: The women competing for your vote to be crowned Miss World Malaga on the same day as Spain’s general election - 24 Apr, 2019 @ 09:00
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54