THE Spanish wife of UK Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg has revealed that there is a problem with self-confidence in Spain, at a networking event for schoolgirls.
High-flying lawyer Miriam Gonzalez Durantez spoke to dozens of girls as part of the event at a Glasgow conference centre, in which schoolgirls were given the opportunity to meet a range of successful career women.
“Women are often asked about self-confidence, which is something men don’t necessarily experience,” said Gonzalez Durantez.
“This is something I really noticed in Spain. That there is an issue with self-confidence that we have to address.”
The 46-year-old mother-of-three hosted the conference for the charity Inspiring the Future, aimed at providing a positive message for state schoolgirls that they can have both a successful career and a family.
“What I would take issue with is the ‘have it all’. I never understand what people mean when they say have it all,” she insisted.
“I personally have never wanted to have it all like a general aim. I just want to have what men have.
“Lots of men have a successful professional life or what looks like success to them and they have put that together with a family.”
But she added that her own family life is very balanced, with Clegg taking his fair share of the chores around the house, even when Prime Minister Cameron is away and he is left running the country.
She concluded: “We have made lots of progress, but there is still progress to make.”
- What a mission! My six weeks at a language school in Sevilla - 23 May, 2015 @ 15:30
- Flamenco and the Alhambra as home-time is looming - 16 Apr, 2015 @ 15:05
- ‘Giving light’ and tile-painting in Triana - 10 Apr, 2015 @ 15:47
- Taking my mind off the end of Semana Santa - 6 Apr, 2015 @ 15:53
- Sinners in spiky hats - 2 Apr, 2015 @ 09:01
- The suspense is growing for Semana Santa - 29 Mar, 2015 @ 10:48
- A Mesquita and a mosquito - 23 Mar, 2015 @ 19:58
- Just the weather for a solar eclipse - 20 Mar, 2015 @ 18:51
- A Roman market and St Patrick’s Day in Sevilla - 18 Mar, 2015 @ 15:30
- The Spanish sorting hat of doom - 14 Mar, 2015 @ 11:05