A GRANDMOTHER and her granddaughter have died, after the pair fell down a lift shaft in Almachar.
The 62-year-old woman, Maria Cisneros, entered the unfinished building while desperately searching for her missing two-year-old grandson, after he disappeared from a neighbouring property.
She fell down the five-metre lift shaft – which was thinly covered with bricks – while carrying her nine-month-old granddaughter.
The grandmother died from her injuries the same day, while the granddaughter suffered severe head injuries and was been operated on before passing away last week.
The children’s 30-year-old mother was also injured, after jumping into the shaft to try to help her family members.
The missing grandson was found safe and sound just minutes after the accident.
Almachar’s mayor, Jose Gamez, has offered his condolences to the family.
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44