RYANAIR baggage handlers are currently staging an indefinite strike at Spain’s largest airport in Madrid.
Passengers have been left without the option of taking luggage in and out of Madrid for the fourth day in a row.
The budget airline’s bosses are now working ‘around the clock’ to cancel what they are terming an ‘illegal strike’.
The handlers’ union claims they are striking because Ryanair reportedly plans to cut their pay by 30%.
Passengers are now only allowed to bring hand luggage with them, although Ryanair has agreed to move travellers to a different airport or date, without any charge.
A Ryanair spokesman said: “All flights to and from Madrid are running as normal, however, customers have been requested to travel with cabin baggage only and have been offered the choice of transferring to alternative flights or alternative airports.
“We sincerely apologise for any inconvenience caused.
“Ryanair complies fully with all EU and Spanish employment law and with the Spanish Convenio.
“Our lawyers have lodged injunctions with the Labour Court, the Ministry of Labour and the Ministry of Transport against this illegal strike action.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36