SPAIN is definitively the best country in the world to grab a bite to eat.
With El Celler de Can Roca in Girona claiming the top prize, Spain was the only country to feature twice in the top 10 at the World’s 50 Best Restaurant awards in London.
In total, seven Spanish restaurants feature in the top 50.
Run by brothers Joan, Jordi, and Josep Roca, El Celler de Can Roca moved up one place to knock last year’s Danish winner Noma off top spot.
To see what publisher Jon Clarke made of the world’s best restaurant when he visited, click here.
Meanwhile, Mugaritz in San Sebastian retained the sixth place award it received last year.
However it wasn’t all good, as Arzak in San Sebastian slipped down the rankings, moving from eighth to 17th.
1. El Celler de Can Roca (Spain)
2. Osteria Francescana (Italy)
3. Noma (Denmark)
4. Central (Peru)
5. Eleven Madison Park (United States)
6. Mugaritz (Spain)
7. Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (United Kingdom)
8. Narisawa (Japan)
9. D.O.M (Brazil)
10. Gaggan (Thailand)
Other Spanish restaurants in top 50:
13. Asador Etxebarri
39. Quique Dacosta
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36