By Amrik Sappal, Store Director, Specsavers Opticas Fuengirola
As temperatures rise and everyone hits the beach, we see more and more people coming into the store with sore eyes. Here’s how to protect yours this summer.
Q: Can the sun damage my eyes?
A: Yes, I am afraid it can. Exposure to UV rays causes a painful irritation to the cornea at the front of the eye. In extreme circumstances this can lead to cancer of the cornea, age-related macular degeneration, cataracts and even blindness. You can protect your eyes by wearing large or wraparound sunglasses which are marked UV 400.
Q: I am really suffering from hay fever, how can I stop my eyes watering and being sore?
A: Hayfever can irritate the eyes and make them water, which is especially bad news if you wear contact lenses. There are many hay fever remedies available, such as tablets and nasal sprays, which help reduce all the symptoms, including issues with your eyes. If you find your usual brand has stopped working, try a few different ones as every year can be different. If your eyes are reacting quite badly, you could also try antihistamine eye drops although, unfortunately, you cannot use these with contact lenses.
Q: What should I do if I get something in my eye?
A: It is easy for sand or small particles to get in your eyes when you’re swimming and spending time on the beach. If this happens:
- Try not to rub your eyes as this could scratch the cornea
- Do not rinse your eyes with running water, they will water naturally to flush out the object
- If it is still painful or you think the object is still lodged in your eye, go to your nearest opticians who will try to locate and remove it
- If this doesn’t help, the Optometrist will refer you to the nearest hospital for treatment
All Specsavers’ sunglasses offer the maximum UV protection and we are now offering 2 for 1 deals, including sunglasses. There are Specsavers stores in Marbella and Fuengirola on the Costa del Sol. To make an appointment or find your nearest store, visit www.specsavers.es.
- Take heed of this eye care advice for World Sight Day - 11 Oct, 2018 @ 15:14
- There’s lots to consider when making the switch to contact lenses - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 10:20
- Kylie Minogue launches new range of eyewear with Specsavers - 25 May, 2018 @ 12:12
- Ask the Optician: For the full spec on eyewear from Marbella specialists - 6 Jan, 2018 @ 15:05
- CHRISTMAS WISH: Support the ONCE fundraising campaign at Specsavers Opticas - 9 Dec, 2017 @ 15:12
- All your questions about contact lenses answered - 21 Aug, 2017 @ 09:34
- Ask the Optician – What is Digital Retinal Photography? - 7 May, 2017 @ 16:00
- The leading cause of severe sight loss for over 55s in the western world - 31 Mar, 2017 @ 21:15
- Specsavers: There is a perfect pair of specs for everyone - 5 Mar, 2017 @ 17:36
- A simple eye test can uncover a host of underlying diseases - 8 Feb, 2017 @ 15:30