GIBRALTAR lost 4-0 to the Republic of Ireland in Friday’s Group D qualifier for Euro 2016 in Portugal.
Robbie Keane bagged a second-half brace, with debutant Cyrus Christie and Shane Long also on target for Ireland, who move up to third in the group.
The Irish captain took his international tally to 67 when he scored his second from the spot following a foul by Liam Walker on Wes Hoolahan.
A Walker long-range effort was the closest Jeff Wood’s men came to troubling Irish goalkeeper Shay Given as the home side remain without a point in the group.
Jordan Perez kept Ireland at bay in the opening skirmishes, pushing a Jeff Hendrick set piece wide before saving a Jon Walters effort.
But the Gibraltar ‘keeper was helpless to prevent the impressive Christie guiding home Ireland’s first into the far corner after 27 minutes.
Keane tapped in his first shortly after the break and slotted in a penalty in the 51st minute to leave him one goal behind German legend Gerd Muller’s international haul.
A Gibraltar team packed with Lincoln Red Imps’ players were rocked again ten minutes before the end when Shane Long scored a fine header to the delight of the 3,000 travelling Irish fans.
Gibralta’s next qualifier is in Poland on Monday night.
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05
- Most Attractive Industries to Invest in Gibraltar - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:01
- Ceramics are the hot new design trend styling up interiors this year - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 10:22
- Architect of Spain’s largest indoor sports arena scoops this year’s prestigious Pritzker Prize - 17 Mar, 2019 @ 18:04
- The Brits have not stopped investing in Spanish property with a 12% rise in purchases last year - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 17:43
- World’s greatest F1 champ spotted on the island in first sighting since 2013 - 16 Mar, 2019 @ 13:57
- Siestas ‘help treat high blood pressure’ - 15 Mar, 2019 @ 11:48