JEREMY Corbyn’s dizzying ascent to the Labour premiership is another boon for Europe’s left.
After the rise of Syriza in Greece and Podemos in Spain, Britain’s bedraggled left finally has a rallying figure it hopes can reverse its fortunes.
The Spanish Republic has long been a totemic cause for the left, and Corbyn’s support for the heroic International Brigades is indicative of his strong personal attachment to Spain.
With his ‘No Pasaran’ spirit and no-nonsense campaigning approach, Corbyn’s election just injected a jolt of adrenalin into the battered rump of British paternalistic socialism.
For the country that abolished slavery, introduced free healthcare and a welfare state, this could put Britain back among the world’s most caring, modern-thinking nations.
- British RAF pilot brings new – and MUCH cheaper – property listing concept to Spain - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 17:21
- Spain’s Supreme Court bans historic bull hunting and spearing tradition in Castilla y Leon - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 11:00
- Malaga’s ‘Banksy’ attracts world attention replicating masterpieces on the streets of Spain and Europe - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 10:00
- M1 Legal is stacking up the victories against Spain’s Timeshare giants - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 11:13
- How to Improve Academic Writing Skills for UK University Admission - 22 Mar, 2019 @ 09:37
- Giant electricity pylons rampaging across the valley vista in Sierra Nevada - 21 Mar, 2019 @ 18:57
- Living with Gaudi – Turkish art dealer builds home inside iconic tourist attraction - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 18:38
- Spain tops global health league but all is not well for expats - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 16:59
- Lady Elizabeth School, in Benitachell Alicante, is to have its grand inauguration this month - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:32
- How do casino promotions work in Spain? - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:05