AFTER 18 years in the sheltered surroundings of the Rock, heading abroad to university can be a daunting prospect for young Gibraltarians.
But one local graduate is on a mission to make the transition as seamless as possible.
Philip Vasquez – who studied at Cardiff University – has written Gibraltar’s first survival guide for uni freshers studying away from the Rock.
Youniversity is packed with advice for students and their families, from what to pack to how to deal with common issues.
“There are a lot of problems and concerns which are unique to Gibraltarians studying abroad,” Vasquez told the Olive Press. “No one has tried to provide a single resource for local students to make our lives at university more successful.”
Vasquez began writing the book after finishing a degree in Cardiff two years ago, and has continued to work on it while undertaking a Bar course at London’s City Law School.
There is also a blog with extra tips written by additional contributors, tips.youniversity.co.uk.
Every year around 900 Gibraltarians head abroad to study, a number which has increased ever since the government began providing the financial backing for them in 1988.
The book is available now to preorder on Amazon for £10 and will be published in late October 2015.
• For more information contact [email protected] or call 54027350
- Guadix in all its glory - 3 Oct, 2016 @ 14:00
- The Spanish Shakespeare: Miguel de Cervantes - 18 Apr, 2016 @ 13:52
- Gibraltar is flying high - 4 Apr, 2016 @ 10:50
- Pair of expats fund raise to feed 40 hungry schoolchildren in Spain - 2 Apr, 2016 @ 14:33
- Gunfight in Granada arranged over WhatsApp - 1 Apr, 2016 @ 08:45
- Adios: What I learnt from living in Spain - 31 Mar, 2016 @ 16:28
- First-ever United Nations of Marbella seminar to be held on April 5 - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:12
- Algeciras records healthy increase in business - 30 Mar, 2016 @ 14:05
- Rock around the shops in Gibraltar - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 12:49
- ‘Long live free Andalucia!’ - 20 Mar, 2016 @ 07:44