WITH four elections taking place across Spain and Gibraltar, 2015 had the potential for political upheaval of seismic proportions. And the demise of the Spanish two-party system didn’t disappoint.
However, as 2016 dawns, Andalucia has the same Junta boss as 12 months ago and the nation faces a New Year of political uncertainty after the general election failed to produce a standout candidate.
Meanwhile, Gibraltar’s government proved rock solid, seeing Fabian Picardo returned with an increased majority.
Outside the fireworks of the political sphere, it’s also been a cracker of a year for the Olive Press which has been undergoing many major expansions: first moving to a new office, then launching a Property magazine and finally taking on the Rock with the launch of the Gibraltar Olive Press.
As always we endeavoured to bring you salacious celebrity exclusives, big expat news as well as investigations into corrupt politicians, businessman and untoward characters blighting Andalucia and Gibraltar.
Never afraid to print the stories other publications would rather ignore, the OP will continue in the same vein next term, proving to be the best English-language investigative newspaper in Spain.
We wish a Happy New Year to all our readers and advertisers and here’s to a prosperous 2016!
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36