THE first session of the new Spanish Congress has opened today.
On Tuesday evening, a pact between Ciudadanos and the Socialist PSOE made the veteran socialist Patxi Lopez the new speaker.
He is the first speaker in Spain’s democractic history who is not a member of the party with the most votes folllowing December’s general election.
Podemos did not join the pact to vote Lopez in as its request to have four separate entities representing its affiliated offshoots in Valencia, Galicia and Catalunya was denied.
A deal to choose a new Prime Minister has yet to be agreed by the parties.
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00