THE widely criticised restoration of Matrera castle in Cadiz has won an international architecture prize.
A Spanish heritage body had called the refurbishment of the 1,000-year-old fortress ‘lamentable’, but on Tuesday it won the popular vote in the architecture and preservation category of the Architize A+ awards.
The projects leading architect Carlos Quevedo, will travel to New York in May to collect the award.
He said: “We are very happy, I am proud of the work we’ve done and we want to celebrate. It is very important for us because it is a recognition for all the work we have done over five years.”
He added that those who criticised the work were upset by change.
Cultural heritage campaigners Hispania Nostra said the project was ‘truly lamentable’.
“No words are needed, you just need to look at the photographs,” it said.
Architecture has seen a growing trend of restoring ruins with blank additions.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52