THE widely criticised restoration of Matrera castle in Cadiz has won an international architecture prize.
A Spanish heritage body had called the refurbishment of the 1,000-year-old fortress ‘lamentable’, but on Tuesday it won the popular vote in the architecture and preservation category of the Architize A+ awards.
The projects leading architect Carlos Quevedo, will travel to New York in May to collect the award.
He said: “We are very happy, I am proud of the work we’ve done and we want to celebrate. It is very important for us because it is a recognition for all the work we have done over five years.”
He added that those who criticised the work were upset by change.
Cultural heritage campaigners Hispania Nostra said the project was ‘truly lamentable’.
“No words are needed, you just need to look at the photographs,” it said.
Architecture has seen a growing trend of restoring ruins with blank additions.
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37