A GROUP of British holiday home owners has been refunded €3.3 million in taxes they should never have been charged, The Spanish hacienda (tax authority) has been forced to hand back millions of euros to Brits overcharged on inheritance tax following a European Court of Justice ruling that the charges were ‘discriminatory’.
The claimants have received an average of €30,000 each. Claims worth a further €7 million are still to go through the courts.
The Spanish authorities raised the tax on properties passed on to friends or family following the death of a non-resident owner.
The inheritance tax levied on non-resident homeowners usually amounted to a third of the property’s value and had to be paid within six months of inheriting.
Barcelona-based lawyer Luis Cuervo expects more people to now come forward and claim what they are owed.
“The repayment is not automatic, you have to come forward a file a claim,” he explained. “Anyone who paid inheritance tax during the past five years can claim back all the tax that they paid – but doing so is a complex and daunting task only for specialised lawyers, experts in EU tax claims, as there is no single form to fill in.”
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02
- Figuring out your next career move: Where to start from? - 3 Jul, 2019 @ 10:19
- Online Sports Betting in Spain – Where to Play & What’s Legal? - 2 Jul, 2019 @ 09:16
- A secret escape just 10 minutes from the Costa del Sol - 29 Jun, 2019 @ 09:00