THE customary Easter rain has come and gone, the evenings are an hour longer, and that can only mean one thing… the chiringuitos are open again.
Only 10% of Andalucia’s beach bars keep their doors open all year round, with most opening from April to the end of September.
There are around 1,300 dotted along Andalucia’s coastline, according to TripAdvisor, the majority of them in Malaga and Cadiz province.
On some beaches there is just one, while on others, such as in Torremolinos or Benalmadena there are dozens.
And while many simply concentrate on cold beer and basic fried fish, others – such as Beach House in Elviria, or Belgian-run Macaao in San Pedro – have mastered the art of fine food.
Meanwhile, some stick to doing the basics brilliantly, such as the pil-pil prawns, at Floria, in Manilva, or espeto sardines at Chambao, in Torreguadiaro.
And if you are looking for excellent live music, the likes of Sonora, in Estepona, particularly on Sunday evening, takes some beating, while the incredible hustle and bustle of Tintero, on the beach in Malaga on weekends is a real eye opener.
Meanwhile on the Costa de la Luz, you are spoilt for choice with some of the best including Antonio, in Zahara, and Chiringuito BienStar, in Tarifa.
Wherever you ultimately choose to go, you will be in the perfect spot to watch the sunset, and if you are lucky there will be views to Gibraltar and even beyond to North Africa on clear evenings.
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27
- The Cat’s Whiskers: Is Sierra de Gata Spain’s most delightful region? - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 10:00
- Why Sotogrande’s La Gran Reserva is one of Andalucia’s most exciting new developments - 23 Nov, 2018 @ 12:15
- How the Olive Press has survived 300 issues – and is continuing to grow - 14 Sep, 2018 @ 09:48
- How a Costa del Sol-based financial services business gives back to the community - 18 Aug, 2018 @ 16:58
- ‘Evil’ monkey dubbed Dracula robs British family of cash and passports on Gibraltar’s Skywalk - 22 Jul, 2018 @ 12:32
- West End comes to Sotogrande in aid of charity - 24 Jun, 2018 @ 14:14
- Olive Press publisher Jon Clarke gets five star access to Spain’s three Michelin Star heroes - 1 Apr, 2018 @ 15:00
- NICE ONE SON: Valldemossa’s Son Viscos is the perfect B&B for a weekend escape - 21 Mar, 2018 @ 11:00