THE customary Easter rain has come and gone, the evenings are an hour longer, and that can only mean one thing… the chiringuitos are open again.
Only 10% of Andalucia’s beach bars keep their doors open all year round, with most opening from April to the end of September.
There are around 1,300 dotted along Andalucia’s coastline, according to TripAdvisor, the majority of them in Malaga and Cadiz province.
On some beaches there is just one, while on others, such as in Torremolinos or Benalmadena there are dozens.
And while many simply concentrate on cold beer and basic fried fish, others – such as Beach House in Elviria, or Belgian-run Macaao in San Pedro – have mastered the art of fine food.
Meanwhile, some stick to doing the basics brilliantly, such as the pil-pil prawns, at Floria, in Manilva, or espeto sardines at Chambao, in Torreguadiaro.
And if you are looking for excellent live music, the likes of Sonora, in Estepona, particularly on Sunday evening, takes some beating, while the incredible hustle and bustle of Tintero, on the beach in Malaga on weekends is a real eye opener.
Meanwhile on the Costa de la Luz, you are spoilt for choice with some of the best including Antonio, in Zahara, and Chiringuito BienStar, in Tarifa.
Wherever you ultimately choose to go, you will be in the perfect spot to watch the sunset, and if you are lucky there will be views to Gibraltar and even beyond to North Africa on clear evenings.
- ALIVE AND KICKING: Trio of British rock legends wow the festival crowds at Lisbon’s Nos Alive - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:18
- OPINION: Amid Champions League final ecstasy and agony, Brit fans in Madrid did us proud - 7 Jun, 2019 @ 14:48
- ON THE CHEAP The Germans in Madrid wishing for Champions League final success - 1 Jun, 2019 @ 14:31
- OPINION: Expats will make all the difference in tomorrow’s elections, both as candidates and in the polling booths - 25 May, 2019 @ 11:45
- IN PICS: This paradise retreat has won international acclaim and is just 15 minutes from Spain’s Costa del Sol (read for special Olive Press offer) - 17 May, 2019 @ 09:37
- EXCLUSIVE : Over 96% of Madrid’s hotels FULL as prices skyrocket to €26,000 for two nights on Champions League weekend - 11 May, 2019 @ 16:26
- Freddie Starr dies in Spain - 9 May, 2019 @ 23:50
- Madrid’s born-again Gran Hotel Ingles is the lap of Belle Epoque luxury, discovers Olive Press editor Jon Clarke - 5 May, 2019 @ 10:08
- Witnesses describe ‘bloodbath’ after British soldier ‘glassed by her pal’ in Mallorca club - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 10:45
- La La lovin’ it! New organic olive oil ‘experience’ in Ronda - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 14:27