THE Olive Press has been named the best expat newspaper in Spain and the second most popular in the world.
The accolade follows a poll of tens of thousands of expats from more than 90 different countries.
The Expat Survey Consumer Awards asked 27,000 expatriates worldwide to vote for their favourite blog, magazine, newspaper, website and radio station.
“It’s brilliant news, it’s great to have the recognition after working so hard,” Publisher and Editor of the Olive Press Jon Clarke said, “It’s pretty amazing considering how young the paper is as we will be celebrating just our tenth anniversary this year. The whole team deserves a pat on the back.”
The Olive Press came second to France’s Connexion, while third went to Round Town News, which has been operating on Spain’s Costa Blanca for more than 30 years.
The Olive Press, which began printing in 2006, is best known for its investigative work in the Andalucia region of southern Spain, and last September set up an additional paper to cover the British territory of Gibraltar.
Publishing consultant for the paper Clive Jacques said: “This is a brilliant good news story for us. At times the paper is accused of mainly highlighting bad news, but it is good for the readers and advertisers to know the Olive Press is officially the second most popular in the world, and the number one expat paper in Spain. ”
The awards are described as an opportunity for expatriates to nominate and commend the work of media owners and service providers that ‘add value to their lives’.
The award for best blog went to expat.com, best newsletter to The Telegraph, best magazine to the Economist, best radio station to Talksport and best news website to Angloinfo.com.
See the full list of winners here: http://www.theexpatsurvey.com/tesca/
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09
- WATCH: Dramatic rescue after two ‘narco boats’ collide off Spain’s Costa del Sol - 15 May, 2019 @ 15:29
- Mystery as expat and two Lithuanians found in busted van carrying €1 MILLION CASH en route to Malaga – but NONE of them claim ownership - 15 May, 2019 @ 12:31
- ‘SOMEONE MUST KNOW’: Grandmother of missing British lad who vanished with his father from Spain’s Costa del Sol makes heartfelt appeal - 15 May, 2019 @ 10:45
- BAD FELLAS: Prison guard and 43 others arrested after Cadiz gang teams up with Italian mafia to free cannabis kingpin from Costa del Sol jail - 14 May, 2019 @ 15:54