MALAGA’S reservoirs are at their lowest level in over ten years, sparking fears of widespread water bans.
Water capacity in the province has dropped by almost 15% from last year to 332 cubic hectometres while one of its key suppliers, the Guadalhorce reservoir, is dangerously low at 170 cubic hectometres.
If the dry weather continues and levels drop to 109 cubic hectometres, residents could see a repeat of the emergency drought measures and hosepipe bans last brought into force in 2005.
That plan saw the suspension of street cleaning and the irrigation of gardens and public and private parks.
Ornamental fountains, public showers and fountains were also banned or restricted, while the filling of swimming pools was cut back by 15%.
The threatened drought comes despite the government’s investment of €35m in the reservoir network.
The Junta de Andalucía met with farmers at the start of February to explain that early measures may be taken if rainfall stays 25% below average by the end of May.
Villanueva de la Concepción’s town hall says the current situation is ‘alarming’ and that they expect the summer to be ‘complicated’.
They are already urging residents to be conservative in their water use.
- IN PICS: ‘One million’ march against Brexit in London - 23 Mar, 2019 @ 20:14
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31