DAVID CAMERON has confirmed there will be no second referendum on Britain’s EU membership.
There were hopes for a second chance among Remainers after a petition calling for another vote garnered almost four million signatures.
Asked about the possibility of a round-two, the Prime Minister’s spokesperson said:
“That’s not remotely on the cards. There was a decisive result [in the EU referendum]. The focus of the Cabinet discussion was how we get on and deliver that.”
Cameron chaired the first post-Brexit cabinet meeting on Monday, where ministers agreed to create a government unit focused on drawing up options for the UK’s renegotiation with the EU.
Negotiations, however, will not take place until Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is enacted, which Cameron has said is a job for the next PM.
It was announced today that that position will not be filled until September 2.
Once a new PM is chosen and Article 50 is triggered, a two-year process will see the UK renegotiate its relationship with the EU as it gradually withdraws.
The British Sterling has continued to decline since the Brexit victory, posting a 31-year low against the dollar on Monday morning.
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19