DAVID CAMERON has confirmed there will be no second referendum on Britain’s EU membership.
There were hopes for a second chance among Remainers after a petition calling for another vote garnered almost four million signatures.
Asked about the possibility of a round-two, the Prime Minister’s spokesperson said:
“That’s not remotely on the cards. There was a decisive result [in the EU referendum]. The focus of the Cabinet discussion was how we get on and deliver that.”
Cameron chaired the first post-Brexit cabinet meeting on Monday, where ministers agreed to create a government unit focused on drawing up options for the UK’s renegotiation with the EU.
Negotiations, however, will not take place until Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty is enacted, which Cameron has said is a job for the next PM.
It was announced today that that position will not be filled until September 2.
Once a new PM is chosen and Article 50 is triggered, a two-year process will see the UK renegotiate its relationship with the EU as it gradually withdraws.
The British Sterling has continued to decline since the Brexit victory, posting a 31-year low against the dollar on Monday morning.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20