A NERJA animal charity is in crisis and is appealing to the public for help after having its shelter closed down.
Only set up eight months ago, the APA Nerja Estacion Esperanza had managed to build kennels and shelter amenities on rented land thanks to a flood of donations and volunteers.
But despite their efforts the shelter had to be closed due to the sheer overwhelming volumes of animals, and due to the fact that the land could not be concreted, undermining the shelter’s hygiene.
President Laura Leanne Downes told the Olive Press: “Maintaining a Shelter on this scale is not an easy task, funds have to be raised for food, dogs and cats transported backwards and forward from vets, vaccinations given to puppies who also have to be micro-chipped as this is the law, and all the money to achieve this had to come from donations and fundraising.”
She said despite everyone’s inspiring efforts, the shelter had to be shut down.
“It became apparent that the Charity was no longer able to sustain the level of dogs in its care and the painful decision was made that the Shelter had to close, the decision has not been taken easily nor quickly,” she said.
The charity, which is still in operation until it finds a new shelter, is pleading for members of the public to consider adopting one of the many dogs left without a home.
To foster a dog, all of whom have been socialised by the APA Walking Group, email [email protected]
- ‘DRUG HILLS’: British expats in upmarket urbanisation on Spain’s Costa del Sol wake up to ‘disgraceful’ graffiti - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:47
- Westley Capper arrives at Malaga court on last day of Agnese Klavina trial after damning CCTV footage shown to court - 20 Mar, 2019 @ 11:20
- Dead body dumped on Spain’s Costa del Sol was of young foreigner, 23, and had at least 10 gunshot wounds - 19 Mar, 2019 @ 10:59
- Guardia Civil cop who killed three people after causing pile up on Costa del Sol while driving on cocaine ordered to pay €1.4 million in compensation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:52
- SACRE BLOW! French smuggling gang which moved cocaine and hashish between Morocco, Malaga and Europe busted in joint operation - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 16:12
- Residents feel shaking as FOUR earthquakes rock Malaga - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:33
- Rain and cold wind forecast for Spain’s Malaga this week - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 15:16
- WATCH: Manhunt launched after pharmacy robbed at GUNPOINT on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:45
- Dead body found dumped with ‘several gunshot wounds’ on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 12:31
- British expats facing 12 years in prison and €84,000 in compensation costs as trial over missing Agnese Klavina begins in Malaga TODAY - 18 Mar, 2019 @ 11:22