A NERJA animal charity is in crisis and is appealing to the public for help after having its shelter closed down.
Only set up eight months ago, the APA Nerja Estacion Esperanza had managed to build kennels and shelter amenities on rented land thanks to a flood of donations and volunteers.
But despite their efforts the shelter had to be closed due to the sheer overwhelming volumes of animals, and due to the fact that the land could not be concreted, undermining the shelter’s hygiene.
President Laura Leanne Downes told the Olive Press: “Maintaining a Shelter on this scale is not an easy task, funds have to be raised for food, dogs and cats transported backwards and forward from vets, vaccinations given to puppies who also have to be micro-chipped as this is the law, and all the money to achieve this had to come from donations and fundraising.”
She said despite everyone’s inspiring efforts, the shelter had to be shut down.
“It became apparent that the Charity was no longer able to sustain the level of dogs in its care and the painful decision was made that the Shelter had to close, the decision has not been taken easily nor quickly,” she said.
The charity, which is still in operation until it finds a new shelter, is pleading for members of the public to consider adopting one of the many dogs left without a home.
To foster a dog, all of whom have been socialised by the APA Walking Group, email [email protected]
- Brazilian soldier from convoy of President Bolsonaro arrested for smuggling cocaine into Spain’s Sevilla after controversial leader vowed to crack down on drugs - 26 Jun, 2019 @ 12:41
- One hospitalised as roaring chemical plant fire in San Roque is brought under control - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 20:27
- Gibraltar says ‘no cause for concern’ as toxic smoke from San Roque chemical fire unlikely to affect British territory - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:55
- Firefighters near San Roque chemical fire warn of toxic smoke as Gibraltar government advises residents to CLOSE WINDOWS and doors - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 17:35
- WATCH: Homes evacuated as huge chemical fire ‘covers cars in ash’ and ‘turns sky dark’ near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:59
- IN VIDEOS: HUGE mushroom cloud of toxic black smoke as fire BLAZES at chemical plant near Spain’s Costa del Sol - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 16:16
- BREAKING: Incident at San Roque oil refinery as flames and smoke billow from plant - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:54
- PLEASE SHARE: British teen launches last-ditch appeal to find dad who vanished from Spain’s Costa Blanca almost 10 years ago - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 15:34
- Shots fired at mosque in Spain - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:37
- BLUFFING MUFFINS: WARNING as batches of ‘fake gluten and dairy free’ magdalenas across Spain at risk of causing widespread allergic reactions - 25 Jun, 2019 @ 14:27