A BRITISH man wanted for questioning over missing Scottish expat Lisa Brown has been jailed for people smuggling.
Stephen Jackson, 51, has been sentenced to four years and nine months for trying to smuggle a group of Albanians into the UK after entering a guilty plea.
Jackson was arrested by Sussex Police in May when his catamaran was stormed at Chichester Marina.
He was also served with extradition papers in May in relation to missing Lisa Brown.
He is expected to go to extradition trial next month. However, he will not be extradited to Spain until he has completed his prison sentence in the UK.
Assistant Director David Fairclough, from Immigration Enforcement Criminal Investigations, said that Jackson was ‘at the centre’ of an organised people smuggling gang.
Jackson is believed to be close friends with Lisa’s ex-partner Simon Corner who has also been arrested over the mother-of-one’s dissapearance.
“I hope this case serves as a warning to anyone tempted to get involved with this kind of crime,” he said.
“Working closely with Border Force colleagues we will identify the criminals behind illegal entry attempts and they will be jailed.”
- Not just for Christmas: The heroic work of Estepona’s Adana kennels - 8 Jan, 2017 @ 10:23
- Bambi on ice - 1 Jan, 2017 @ 16:01
- Cars banned from Madrid streets in trial run for pedestrianised city - 25 Dec, 2016 @ 16:54
- Gang of thieves gas and rob expat homes on Costa del Sol - 22 Dec, 2016 @ 09:14
- Spain boosts security in ‘Christmas hotspots’ following Berlin attacks - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 15:31
- Flood advice: How to claim on insurance following Costa del Sol deluge - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 13:25
- PIC EXCLUSIVE: Britain’s Most Wanted fugitive Mark Acklom strips off in Spain - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 11:05
- Prime Minister Theresa May vows to protect 1.2 million British expats living in Europe - 21 Dec, 2016 @ 09:51
- Britain’s Captain Calamity stranded in Spain after leaving passport onboard abandoned vessel - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 12:43
- Woman from Granada named best rugby referee in the world by IRFU - 20 Dec, 2016 @ 10:36