OCEAN-CLEANING sea bins have begun their trial-run in Spain.
The Balearic Islands have allowed the Seabin company to test out its latest prototype, which uses a solar-powered pump, in four different ports.
If successful the bins are likely to be used throughout Spain.
This will be welcomed by Costa del Sol swimmers after experts recently warned that its sewage systems are overflowing into the sea because of people flushing wet wipes and frying oil down the drain.
The submerged bins are fitted to a pontoons and use a pump to suck rubbish from the sea’s surface.
When the bins get full up the plastic can be emptied and recycled.
The ingenious invention was created by two Australian surfers Andrew Turton and Pete Ceglinski, who are based in Mallorca.
They were inspired to tackle pollution by being confronted by waste regularly while surfing.
“It catches everything floating in the water – plastic bottles, paper, oil, fuel, and detergent,” said Ceglinski.
“The majority of my childhood was spent in the water. There’s nothing worse than being out there surrounded by plastic.
“The Seabin project is helping create a better way of life for everyone and every living thing.”
The bins are safe for fish as they do not go close enough to the surface to be sucked in.
After successful rounds of funding and development, the bins are expected to go into mass production in early 2017, when they will be available in 17 countries, including Spain.
- IN PICS: The stunning 16th century estate going up for auction in Spain - 16 Jun, 2019 @ 09:07
- Fake goods costing Spain and EU billions each year - 15 Jun, 2019 @ 08:38
- Brothers cuffed after trying to stuff 11 champagne bottles down one of their tops in huge shoplifting FAIL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:22
- British tourists still flocking to Spain’s Malaga as first quarter of 2019 shows almost 10% increase in hotel stays - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 17:04
- 8 things you didn’t know were ILLEGAL to do at the beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 12:29
- Young paedo groomed at least 10 children across Spain’s Alicante, Andalucia and Valencia and paid them for explicit images while posing as underage girl online - 14 Jun, 2019 @ 11:26
- BREAKING: Barack Obama will be in Marbella TOMORROW for secret meeting at luxury hotel - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:50
- IN PICS: Game of Thrones stars party it up in Spain’s Benidorm for Sophie Turner’s hen do ahead of ‘official’ marriage to Joe Jonas - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 16:20
- Gibraltar police fuming after rumours ‘falsely claim’ drunk off duty officer started late night brawl at Pig & Whistle pub - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:45
- How a gang sold more than €1.5 million of drugs EVERY WEEK with the help of a Breaking Bad-style family in Cadiz – and how they spent it on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jun, 2019 @ 15:13