A MEMBER of the House of Lords is demanding constituencies for expats living in Spain.
Peer Paul Tyler, who served as a Lib Dem MP until 2005, wants all disenfranchised Britons living in the EU to have their own MPs.
In a similar arrangement that exists for French and Italian expats, Tyler believes that it is fairer than expats having a vote in their UK constituencies.
In a letter sent to expat rights campaigner Brian Cave, Tyler wrote: “Expatriate constituencies is the only rational solution.
“Put yourself in the shoes of the MP; faced with the problems, concerns and special interests of 75,000 constituents how many will give appropriate attention to a few dozen voters living hundreds of miles away?”
The move comes as it was revealed former UK Prime Minister David Cameron’s promise to extend voting rights to expats has been blocked.
The move is allegedly seen as too complicated with few UK constituencies having records going back more than 15 years.
The UK boundary commission – which looks at electoral constituencies – is due to meet in early 2018 to look at all the possible options.
France-based campaigner Brian Cave urged expats across Europe to put as much pressure on the UK authorities as possible.
He told the Olive Press: “Britons abroad should not be ignored.”
- Electric cars set for Mallorca reboot thanks to AnySolution - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- I do! Balearic blushing brides attend three-day exhibition - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 14:00
- Balearic tourism boost as delegation impresses the World Travel Market - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Tourism concern as visitor numbers plummet in Catalunya’s museums - 15 Nov, 2017 @ 10:00
- US director’s Song of Sway Lake makes long-awaited red-carpet debut - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00
- Mallorquin hoteliers check-in to the Forbes rich list - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 17:00
- Biting Brit avoids jail but is handed a suspended sentence for assault - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 16:00
- Thousands of olives planted by Mallorcan scientists to discover the best strain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 15:00
- Catalunya referendum could lead to recession, fears Bank of Spain - 14 Nov, 2017 @ 12:00
- Former nightlife king Tolo Cursach refused bail as he returns to jail in Palma - 13 Nov, 2017 @ 18:00