WHEN will Spanish politicians clean up their act?
This week, we report how Marbella’s former mayor Angeles Munoz is being probed for allegedly altering town planning rules – to benefit her property-developing husband.
Meanwhile,incumbent leader Jose Bernal is being investigated for using public services to give his mate a top-notch wedding.
Residents should be very disappointed by what is clearly an abuse of authority and a severe case of using public services to grant friendly favours.
But it has been a very bad week, in general, for politicians, as it emerged that Junta boss Susana Diaz is back in the limelight for her alleged involvement in an €800 million training funds scandal.
It seems elected officials have forgotten who they are hired to serve… us!
Not their husbands, cousins or mates!
And the corruption isn’t exclusive to local government.
Rodrigo Rato, the former finance minister, has gone on trial for splashing millions in black money – undeclared to the taxman – on numerous luxury items.
He used company credit cards from one of Spain’s main banks, Bankia, while the rest of the country was financially on its knees… and many people still are.
Three years ago, our front page carried a photo of Prime Minister Rajoy, asking one simple question: ‘Who will cut out the cancer destroying Spain?’
Well tragically, we are nowhere nearer to the answer.
With no clear government in sight and the regions still up to their old tricks, it is clear Spain has a long way to go in making its leaders accountable.
Once again: ‘Who is going to cut out this cancer?’
- SLOW TRAVEL: Run down your rev count in Ronda where slow travel is the new mantra - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 09:59
- FILTHY RICH: How the other half live when on holiday in southern Spain, from Saudi Royalty to British prime ministers and American billionaires - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 08:50
- PICTURED: ‘Shark’ spotted near swimmers on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:38
- Don’t miss the Bollywood and glitter themed pool parties at Max Beach on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 17 Jul, 2019 @ 17:42
- EXPLAINED: The grey skies and punishing hot winds which arrived on Spain’s Costa del Sol today - 12 Jul, 2019 @ 22:06
- Potimarron Message – Fruits from the heart! - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Tai Chi in the river of Happiness with Master Choy - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 13:59
- Two young Brits rescued from ravine after getting lost on Marbella’s La Concha mountain - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 15:57
- That perfect Spanish afternoon can prove more elusive than first thought, writes Lesley Keith - 7 Jul, 2019 @ 12:19
- ‘I will work hard for you’, promises Bill Anderson, the first ever Brit to serve on Mijas Council - 5 Jul, 2019 @ 17:02