WHEN will Spanish politicians clean up their act?
This week, we report how Marbella’s former mayor Angeles Munoz is being probed for allegedly altering town planning rules – to benefit her property-developing husband.
Meanwhile,incumbent leader Jose Bernal is being investigated for using public services to give his mate a top-notch wedding.
Residents should be very disappointed by what is clearly an abuse of authority and a severe case of using public services to grant friendly favours.
But it has been a very bad week, in general, for politicians, as it emerged that Junta boss Susana Diaz is back in the limelight for her alleged involvement in an €800 million training funds scandal.
It seems elected officials have forgotten who they are hired to serve… us!
Not their husbands, cousins or mates!
And the corruption isn’t exclusive to local government.
Rodrigo Rato, the former finance minister, has gone on trial for splashing millions in black money – undeclared to the taxman – on numerous luxury items.
He used company credit cards from one of Spain’s main banks, Bankia, while the rest of the country was financially on its knees… and many people still are.
Three years ago, our front page carried a photo of Prime Minister Rajoy, asking one simple question: ‘Who will cut out the cancer destroying Spain?’
Well tragically, we are nowhere nearer to the answer.
With no clear government in sight and the regions still up to their old tricks, it is clear Spain has a long way to go in making its leaders accountable.
Once again: ‘Who is going to cut out this cancer?’
- The Online Gambling Industry in Gibraltar - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 14:10
- Heat and sun returns to Spain’s Costa del Sol from Friday with highs of 24C forecast for next week - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:54
- NOT MOO-VING: Moment stubborn cow causes traffic jam on busy A-7 in southern Spain - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 12:31
- Almost 40% of Spaniards fear Brexit will have a ‘very negative’ impact on Spain’s economy - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 11:03
- A Guide To Choosing The Right Casino For You - 16 Apr, 2019 @ 09:05
- Paedo pensioner, 88, spared jail after sexually abusing neighbour’s 8-year-old daughter in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 14:37
- IN PICTURES: Easter processions kick off in fine weather in Spain - 15 Apr, 2019 @ 10:06
- IN PICS: British family and Madrid studio restore gorgeous period house in Spain into B&B - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 17:54
- SHELL SHOCKED: Unexploded BOMB found on property in Spain’s Malaga - 13 Apr, 2019 @ 12:05
- World Dance Day Saturday 13th April 2019 - 12 Apr, 2019 @ 16:38