THE acting government of Spain has said it will raise €8 billion by the end of the year by requiring companies to pay more of their tax bill upfront.
A spokeswoman for the Treasury Ministry said it has been briefing political parties on the tax overhaul, which is to be signed off today.
Spain is scrambling to decrease its deficit in a bid to avoid potentially devastating fines for repeatedly missing targets set by the EU.
The conservative Partido Popular had previously estimated that it would raise €6 billion from the tax changes, but it has now increased that figure to €8 billion.
Despite Spain’s growing economy, doubts are growing over its ability to meet the targets.
The European Commission is requiring the country to reduce its deficit to 4.6% by the end of 2016, but a Bank of Spain forecast projects it will only fall to 4.9%.
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56
- 7 times town halls in Spain had us screaming ‘what were they thinking?’ - 19 May, 2019 @ 16:21
- Left-wing government could spell trouble for property investors - 19 May, 2019 @ 09:59
- GUILTY: Westley Capper and Craig Porter verdict in but ‘both will AVOID JAIL’ over Agnese Klavina disappearance, Capper to appeal - 17 May, 2019 @ 19:48
- IN PICS: The jobs of the past in Spain made (almost) obsolete by modern life - 17 May, 2019 @ 14:16
- REVEALED: The 5 towns in Malaga set to receive FREE public wifi thanks to EU initiative - 16 May, 2019 @ 14:24
- WATCH: Afilador plies his trade on Costa del Sol as one of the last to practice long-held Spanish tradition - 16 May, 2019 @ 12:40
- FLAG-RANT: Fabian Picardo steps in after American cruise ship infuriates Gibraltar with ‘Welcome to Gibraltor’ message printed on Spanish flag - 16 May, 2019 @ 11:09