SOME 10.1 million foreign tourists flocked to Spain in August.
The staggering figure is a 5.8% increase on last year and is a monthly record, according to the National Statistics Institute.
The influx of tourists has led to a jobs surge over the summer and extended the country’s economic recovery.
In the first eight months of 2016, tourist numbers increased by 10% from the same period in 2015 to 52.5 million.
Spain is now expecting to break last year’s record of 68.1 million arrivals.
The country’s tourism sector has received a boost as security fears continue to plague rival destinations in the Mediterranean and Middle East.
Most visitors remained British and arrivals from the UK increased by 3.9% year-on-year in August.
However the figure does mark a slowdown compared to previous months, perhaps owing to the weakening of the pound post-Brexit.
- HAMMING IT UP: Andalucia’s award-winning jamon stars at Oscars after-party - 23 Feb, 2019 @ 11:00
- Woody Allen to film new project across Spain after securing financing from Spanish company despite sexual abuse allegations which saw him dumped by Amazon - 22 Feb, 2019 @ 11:28
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33