SOME 10.1 million foreign tourists flocked to Spain in August.
The staggering figure is a 5.8% increase on last year and is a monthly record, according to the National Statistics Institute.
The influx of tourists has led to a jobs surge over the summer and extended the country’s economic recovery.
In the first eight months of 2016, tourist numbers increased by 10% from the same period in 2015 to 52.5 million.
Spain is now expecting to break last year’s record of 68.1 million arrivals.
The country’s tourism sector has received a boost as security fears continue to plague rival destinations in the Mediterranean and Middle East.
Most visitors remained British and arrivals from the UK increased by 3.9% year-on-year in August.
However the figure does mark a slowdown compared to previous months, perhaps owing to the weakening of the pound post-Brexit.
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27