SOME 10.1 million foreign tourists flocked to Spain in August.
The staggering figure is a 5.8% increase on last year and is a monthly record, according to the National Statistics Institute.
The influx of tourists has led to a jobs surge over the summer and extended the country’s economic recovery.
In the first eight months of 2016, tourist numbers increased by 10% from the same period in 2015 to 52.5 million.
Spain is now expecting to break last year’s record of 68.1 million arrivals.
The country’s tourism sector has received a boost as security fears continue to plague rival destinations in the Mediterranean and Middle East.
Most visitors remained British and arrivals from the UK increased by 3.9% year-on-year in August.
However the figure does mark a slowdown compared to previous months, perhaps owing to the weakening of the pound post-Brexit.
- Popular drag queen attacked by group of homophobic ‘foreign’ men in gay-friendly Torremolinos - 23 Apr, 2019 @ 11:50
- British pensioner praises Spanish local for handing him €400 he unwittingly left in cash machine on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 22 Apr, 2019 @ 15:30
- REVEALED: Which Andalucian province saw a 56% boom in property sales while Costa del Sol, Alicante and Balearics suffered DROPS - 21 Apr, 2019 @ 09:03
- BREAKING: British and Spanish children ‘almost die’ after dangerous game ends in FIREBALL on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 21:14
- British expat robbed twice in same Costa del Sol supermarket in just 10 days loses ‘priceless’ personal mementos from dead daughter - 20 Apr, 2019 @ 08:51
- THERE’LL BE KILLINGS: Cadiz drug trafficker warns of BAZOOKAS and bodies on the streets if crackdown on smuggling across Strait of Gibraltar continues - 19 Apr, 2019 @ 13:10
- Irish company launches lifesaving ‘hangover care package’ for expats in Spain - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 12:09
- ‘WE’RE TERRIFIED’: Brother of missing British father who vanished from Spain’s Costa del Sol with son speaks out - 18 Apr, 2019 @ 11:29
- Drones which can photograph drivers using their mobile phone from 2km away launched in Spain TODAY - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 17:33
- BREAKING: Police arrest jihadist planning ‘massacre’ at Semana Santa parade in Spain’s Andalucia - 17 Apr, 2019 @ 15:52