A BRITISH mother has been arrested in Spain after ‘leaving her seven-year-old son in a hotel room to go partying’.
The 25-year-old was held by police in Mallorca after returning at breakfast time following an ‘all-nighter’.
Authorities were alerted by hotel staff when they discovered the boy crying and complaining he had woken up all alone.
Police searched for the mother but could not find her until she returned later that morning.
The unnamed holidaymaker appeared in court yesterday but walked away free.
The boy has been taken into care while authorities decide whether or not his mother can take him back to the UK.
Reports say she has been handed a suspended sentence and will be jailed if she re-offends.
A police spokesman said: “A 25-year-old female British tourist was held on suspicion of abandoning her child early on Monday after leaving her seven-year-old boy alone in their hotel room.
“Several guests at the hotel in Calas de Mallorca alerted receptionists a boy was crying and was alone in the hotel.
“Police arrived to find the youngster was in a very nervous state and was indeed alone.
“The boy told police he was on holiday with his mum in Majorca and that he had woken up alone in their hotel room.
“He also said it wasn’t the first time he had been left alone.”
The hotel was unavailable to comment.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06