ZARA’S new sustainable clothing range has been slammed as ‘not good enough’ by environmental groups.
The Spanish label’s ‘Join Life’ collection, which launched earlier this year, uses only organic and recycled materials.
Each piece must also be manufactured with one of the company’s ‘Green to Wear’ technologies, such as water recycling.
But environmentalists including Nikolay Anguelov, author of The Dirty Side of the Garment Industry, say they are very skeptical of the line.
“There’s misinformation in the marketing message,” said Anguelov.
“The eco label is not deserved. It is a minor improvement, but unfortunately it’s communicated to the consumer as if it’s problem solved.”
His research shows that fabric accounts for only 6% of the cost of any piece of clothing, meaning a change in the textiles fails to make much of a difference to the environment.
The energy used to transport the clothes and the toxic chemicals released in the bleach and dyes are what need to be addressed, claimed Anguelov.
He added that millennials buy five times the amount of clothes as the previous generation, exacerbating the problem.
Inditex, which owns Zara, Massimo Dutti and Pull & Bear, released 1.1 billion units of clothes in 2015, raking in €10.47 billion.
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18