THE body of a missing British man who went missing during a 2,250 km trek from London to Gibraltar has been found in Spain.
Former Leicester councillor David Oldman was found by hunters in La Concepcion, near Almeria, at around 11am yesterday morning.
Relatives of the 66 year old were informed yesterday afternoon and a post-mortem is due to take place today.
Mr Oldman was last seen on June 9 while trekking from Huercal-Overa in Almeria to the nearby town of Albox.
Concerns grew when he failed to ring his mum or board his flight home a few days later.
His family made a series of pleas on social media for help finding him, but an intensive four-week search had to be scaled back in July after it came up with nothing.
Mr Oldman had been walking from his hometown of London to Gibraltar in stages.
The part-time librarian, who was described as an ‘experienced and very fit walker’, would fly back home between each stage.
His niece said before the body was discovered: “He is a very experienced walker and was following a planned route from Gibraltar House in London to Gibraltar.
“This is what he does – this is his holiday and he is very fit and good at what he does.”
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56