THE body of a missing British man who went missing during a 2,250 km trek from London to Gibraltar has been found in Spain.
Former Leicester councillor David Oldman was found by hunters in La Concepcion, near Almeria, at around 11am yesterday morning.
Relatives of the 66 year old were informed yesterday afternoon and a post-mortem is due to take place today.
Mr Oldman was last seen on June 9 while trekking from Huercal-Overa in Almeria to the nearby town of Albox.
Concerns grew when he failed to ring his mum or board his flight home a few days later.
His family made a series of pleas on social media for help finding him, but an intensive four-week search had to be scaled back in July after it came up with nothing.
Mr Oldman had been walking from his hometown of London to Gibraltar in stages.
The part-time librarian, who was described as an ‘experienced and very fit walker’, would fly back home between each stage.
His niece said before the body was discovered: “He is a very experienced walker and was following a planned route from Gibraltar House in London to Gibraltar.
“This is what he does – this is his holiday and he is very fit and good at what he does.”
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20