A BRITISH holidaymaker is in critical condition in Spain after suffering a heart attack following a sea rescue.
Mike Knight, 49, from Manchester in the UK, had to be rescued by lifeguards after he got into difficulties while swimming off the coast of Magaluf.
Mike, who is on his first holiday abroad, had a heart attack after he was pulled to shore on the holiday island of Mallorca.
The father-of-seven was rushed to Inca Hospital where he is now breathing through a tracheostomy and has pneumonia.
Doctors are also concerned he may have suffered some brain damage.
Brother Chris Knight, 57, said the holiday had been a present for Mike’s 50th.
“It was something he had been looking forward to,” he said, “He had always wanted to go abroad and had never flown before.
“He was loving the holiday and was telling me that it was red hot. He was in his element.”
He added: “Whatever happens, he will never be the same again. It’s heartbreaking.”
The family are now in a row with Mike’s insurance company, who are refusing to pay out because he had alcohol in his system.
They have started an urgent appeal on Just Giving in a bid to raise €14,000 to take him home.
Visit www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/vicky–knight-102 to make a donation.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54