A DUTCHMAN is suing the Spanish government after spending 12 years in jail for a rape he did not commit.
Romano van der Dussen was jailed in 2003 for allegedly attacking three women in Fuengirola.
Dixie is already serving a life sentence in the UK for the rape and murder of 18-year-old Sally Anne Bowman in 2005.
Van der Dussen said he is seeking compensation for ‘damage caused’ and for being ‘wrongly deprived’ of his freedom.
He always maintained his innocence and is still contesting two lesser charges of robbery and sexual assault, which were not overturned in the appeal court.
Van der Dussen is soon to release ‘My Spanish Nightmare’, an autobiography detailing his ordeal.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43