POLICE in Spain have arrested two men on suspicion of recruiting for the terrorist group ISIS.
The suspects are said to have been ‘fully integrated’ into the infrastructure of the extremist group and were found to be ‘encouraging terrorist acts’.
Material shared by the pair online was described as ‘extremely radical and shockingly crude.’
One was a Spanish national of Moroccan origin who was arrested in the northern port city of Gijon.
He had sworn loyalty to ISIS chief Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and was in touch with ISIS ‘members and leaders’ through a large, secure network he had created.
The other was arrested in the Basque resort of San Sebastian near the French border and was also recruiting ‘within radical jihadist circles’ in his local area.
He was deliberately focusing on ‘those at risk of social exclusion’, a police statement said.
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13