SPAIN’S finance ministry has informed the European Commission that it will miss its deficit targets.
The country has forecast its deficit to be 3.6% of GDP come the end of 2016, missing the goal of 3.1%.
It noted the country’s ensuing political deadlock, which has seen two inconclusive elections inside a year and no government for over nine months.
Brussels had let Portugal and Spain off the hook in July when it debated whether or not to impose potentially crippling fines for having a budget deficit of more than 3.0%.
It ruled that both were attempting to get their houses in order, and told them to stay on a path of ‘fiscal consolidation’.
Brussels has not yet commented on the latest forecasts, but it could see Spain face billions of euros worth of fines.
- IN PICS: Luxury lifestyle of Marbella expat couple accused of cocaine trafficking and money laundering as court orders €4 million seizure of assets - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 14:15
- Dead blue whale found floating in Marbella - 22 Jul, 2019 @ 10:39
- OPINION: Justice at last! - 21 Jul, 2019 @ 04:39
- SIMPLY THE REST: Driving through Spain this summer? Here are the best boutique hotels to stop at en route - 20 Jul, 2019 @ 09:05
- Expat Marbella couple held in prison on drug and money laundering charges ‘may have links to Finland’s Hells Angels’ as more details emerge - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 15:13
- IN THE NICK OF TIME: Irish man arrested at Malaga airport check-in desk donning €28,000 Rolex he reported as robbed in Marbella a day earlier - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:41
- Expat stumbles upon TWO sets of human remains on Spain’s Costa del Sol during morning stroll - 19 Jul, 2019 @ 12:15
- Conservative deputy mayor arrested after police find HUNDREDS of marijuana plants growing in his home in Spain’s Andalucia - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 17:13
- Expat Marbella restaurant owner and bikini-model girlfriend arrested on money laundering and drug charges as Costa del Sol home raided - 18 Jul, 2019 @ 16:09
- MUST READ: How to survive a rip current following deaths of two swimmers on Costa del Sol beach - 16 Jul, 2019 @ 11:43