SPAIN’S Partido Popular advised its officials on how to break campaign spending rules without attracting attention.
A recently unearthed power-point presentation shows how the PP taught dozens of its mayors to exceed the legal limit without being discovered by the courts.
The document was created in 1999 during the suspected height of the Gurtel scandal, for which dozens of former officials are currently on trial.
Political parties have limits on how much they can spend on specific items during campaigns i.e. billboards, photos or adverts.
To exceed these limits, the PP urged its officials to divert donations to the ordinary party account as opposed to the official campaign account.
From there they were told to hide the expenses by changing the item bought on the bill from, for example, ‘billboard’ to non-campaign items like ‘desks’ or ‘fences’.
The document, entitled PP Campaign Finance, is a dozen pages long and was used in at least Madrid, Valencia and the Balearic Islands.
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06
- ‘ABSOLUTE CHAOS’: Ryanair flight from Glasgow to Malaga diverted after violent ‘hen party brawl’ - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 13:37
- War to be waged against plastic in Gibraltar following deaths of ‘magnificent’ birds - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 11:18
- CASTING CALL: US Netflix series to film in Malaga and Marbella and needs extras THIS WEEKEND - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:38
- Neanderthal FOOTPRINT found in Gibraltar by crack team of British and Spanish scientists - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 14:08
- Elderly couple discover multiple sets of human remains in newly bought home on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 14 Feb, 2019 @ 13:27
- ANOTHER bank leaves Gibraltar ‘thanks to Brexit’ as opposition party calls on government to encourage big businesses to stay on the Rock - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 17:53
- British drug dealer cuffed ‘outside military establishment’ in Gibraltar carrying large amounts of cocaine - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 15:37
- IN PICS: Torching of Marbella beach club – favourite of Pamela Anderson and Eva Longoria – ‘most likely settling of accounts’, police reveal - 13 Feb, 2019 @ 13:20