SPAIN’S Partido Popular advised its officials on how to break campaign spending rules without attracting attention.
A recently unearthed power-point presentation shows how the PP taught dozens of its mayors to exceed the legal limit without being discovered by the courts.
The document was created in 1999 during the suspected height of the Gurtel scandal, for which dozens of former officials are currently on trial.
Political parties have limits on how much they can spend on specific items during campaigns i.e. billboards, photos or adverts.
To exceed these limits, the PP urged its officials to divert donations to the ordinary party account as opposed to the official campaign account.
From there they were told to hide the expenses by changing the item bought on the bill from, for example, ‘billboard’ to non-campaign items like ‘desks’ or ‘fences’.
The document, entitled PP Campaign Finance, is a dozen pages long and was used in at least Madrid, Valencia and the Balearic Islands.
- BUSTED: €600 million empire which trafficked drugs into the UK and laundered money into Spain’s property market - 22 May, 2019 @ 18:38
- British most obsessed with doggy-style while Spain loves ‘cuckolding’, as new study reveals world’s sexual preferences - 22 May, 2019 @ 17:36
- WARNING: Multi-day heatwaves and life threatening temperatures coming to Spain this summer - 22 May, 2019 @ 16:25
- WE’VE GOT THE POWER: Dozens of expats fill up the ballot lists for vital local elections in Spain’s Andalucia - 22 May, 2019 @ 13:12
- HAY FEVER EPIDEMIC: Expert reveals why your allergies seem much worse in Spain this year - 22 May, 2019 @ 12:47
- Liverpool FC brings extreme security measures to Marbella football training ground ahead of Champions League final - 22 May, 2019 @ 10:35
- MISSING: British expat and dementia sufferer, 83, disappears on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 21 May, 2019 @ 11:25
- British expat arrested for starting forest fire on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 20 May, 2019 @ 21:15
- Top British rugby player fighting for his life after falling from major Spain airport car park - 20 May, 2019 @ 16:54
- British expat benefits cheat who stole more than €90,000 from UK coffers while living on Spain’s Costa del Sol given 900 YEARS to pay back debt - 20 May, 2019 @ 10:56