A POLARISING art exhibition featuring a decapitated Franco on a horse has been met with protests and egging.
The temporary show, entitled Franco, Victory, Republic, Impunity and Urban Space, features sculptures of the Spanish dictator dotted around Barcelona’s streets.
But Franco’s headless equestrian effigy and another paying to the victory of his troops in the Spanish Civil War were pelted with eggs within minutes of going on display.
Catalan separatists shouted ‘no fascists on our streets’ while a Franco victims’ group held a silent protest.
Deputy Mayor Gerardo Pisarello said the aim of the works was to ‘denounce the crimes of Francoism and impunity, even in democracy.’
But Catalan nationalists said the exhibition trivialises the crimes of the late Spanish dictator.
The exhibition will remain until January.
- WATCH: Two elderly women caught on camera stealing outdoor furniture from British expat’s bar in Mallorca as police drive by - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 17:46
- FREAK FEBRUARY: ‘Anti-cyclone’ scorcher to see temperatures soar to 28C in Spain’s Andalucia this weekend - 21 Feb, 2019 @ 11:06
- British girl, 9, dies on Spain’s Costa del Sol ‘after eating ice cream’ - 20 Feb, 2019 @ 09:03
- WATCH: ANOTHER Marbella chiringuito burned to the ground - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 16:47
- BREXIT UPDATE: Spain offers further assurances to British expats after meeting with campaigners - 19 Feb, 2019 @ 13:21
- TRAGIC APPEAL: British expat dad ‘drops dead’ at 39 leaving fiance and two children in desperate need on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:49
- P**S TAKER: You can now pee in Donald Trump’s mouth thanks to expat bar owner in Spain - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 14:17
- Irish dog walker stumbles upon dead dolphin washed up on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 18 Feb, 2019 @ 13:33
- BREAKING: British airline goes into administration with ALL flights to Europe cancelled, cites Brexit as major factor - 16 Feb, 2019 @ 20:10
- WATCH: New Marbella Arena to host string of ‘international artists’ and events this summer after signing deal with global events company - 15 Feb, 2019 @ 15:06