A POLARISING art exhibition featuring a decapitated Franco on a horse has been met with protests and egging.
The temporary show, entitled Franco, Victory, Republic, Impunity and Urban Space, features sculptures of the Spanish dictator dotted around Barcelona’s streets.
But Franco’s headless equestrian effigy and another paying to the victory of his troops in the Spanish Civil War were pelted with eggs within minutes of going on display.
Catalan separatists shouted ‘no fascists on our streets’ while a Franco victims’ group held a silent protest.
Deputy Mayor Gerardo Pisarello said the aim of the works was to ‘denounce the crimes of Francoism and impunity, even in democracy.’
But Catalan nationalists said the exhibition trivialises the crimes of the late Spanish dictator.
The exhibition will remain until January.
- Man becomes second to die off Costa del Sol beach in just 15 days - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 16:35
- BRACE YOURSELVES: Hot winds to bring temperatures of up to 39C on Spain’s Costa del Sol TODAY - 15 Jul, 2019 @ 10:27
- WATCH: Stingray capable of killing humans spotted on shore metres from children on Spain’s Costa del Sol - 13 Jul, 2019 @ 09:13
- British expats arrested and fined in new crackdown on ‘pirate taxis’ at Malaga airport - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:31
- BREAKING: Body washes up on beach near Marbella’s exclusive Golden Mile - 11 Jul, 2019 @ 14:05
- HE’S THE DADDY: Court rules Javier Santos IS the love child of Spanish superstar Julio Iglesias - 10 Jul, 2019 @ 18:01
- ‘WRONG MESSAGE’: Young man who accidentally killed drug addict while stopping him from robbing helpless cleaner on Spain’s Costa del Sol given two-year prison sentence and HUGE fine - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 12:37
- British giant Virgin Trains eyes up moving into Spain market after UK becomes ‘uninvestable’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:49
- Expert says southern Spain and Balearics at ‘great risk’ of tsunamis but authorities ‘are not prepared’ - 9 Jul, 2019 @ 11:19
- Iconic restaurant on Spain’s Costa del Sol divides opinion over sign declaring it ‘Spanish, Catholic and rightwing’ - 8 Jul, 2019 @ 16:54